About Me

My photo
I am a ham radio operator, father, husband, Christian, musician, avid reader, Texan, philosopher, and chronic hamburger fiend. After spending several years exploring the different avenues of Ham Radio I decided to share my ideas, experiments, and activities with my fellow "technically challenged" hams as I humbly present to you: "Ham Radio For the Rest of Us". I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

Friday, July 8, 2011

The lost art of the "Rag-chewing" net

     One of the greatest things about amateur radio is it's diversity.  There are so many modes of operation and activities to participate in.  There's something for everyone and it never gets old.  If you ever get tired of one mode there's always something new to try.  Many clubs and other organizations hold nets.  These nets can be for anything from response to emergency communications to passing traffic pertinent to local hams.  For years I have missed checking into a good old rag-chewin' net.  It seems at least in my location; the nets have become rather dry and predictable.  Kind of like going to church.  You do it every week and have the whole ritual memorized.  There is seldom anything new and the nets begin to lose their appeal.  Before too long you feel as though you are checking in more out of duty than enjoyment.
     In the past few months it has been my pleasure to participate in a 2 meter net in Kokomo, Indiana.  The net control operator is either KC9DHG or KB9MDP.  It is an old fashioned rag-chewin' net and everybody is welcome.  All of the gentlemen and ladies involved are exemplary operators.  We meet Monday through Saturday at 00:00 UTC.  We pass it around through the net control operator and everyone talks about anything from their days activities to ongoing amateur radio operations to local or news events.  Although I have never met most of these guys as I live in Lafayette, Indiana; I feel as though I know them.  We have retired guys, farmers, a bee keeper, a musician, city and country folks.  It is a great hour or so of fellowship and I find myself looking forward to checking in as often as I can.  Every ham starts out on the 2 meter band and most hams monitor the local repeaters.  If you don't have a rag-chewing net in your area I highly recommend you take the initiative and begin one.  They are a great way for new hams to get plugged in with other operators.  They are also a great place to find an Elmer.  With our frequencies under constant attack it is good to hear traffic on them.  There are too many repeaters that sit idle, seldom used until a weather event or the weekly club net.  Start or participate in a local net and get Radioactive!  Until next time 73. 

No comments:

Post a Comment