About Me

My photo
I am a ham radio operator, father, husband, Christian, musician, avid reader, Texan, philosopher, and chronic hamburger fiend. After spending several years exploring the different avenues of Ham Radio I decided to share my ideas, experiments, and activities with my fellow "technically challenged" hams as I humbly present to you: "Ham Radio For the Rest of Us". I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why I began "Ham Radio For the Rest of Us"

Hello all; Ron Reece here (WO9H).  I have thought about blogging for a long time now.  I decided to bite the bullet, jump in, and give it a try.  I have had my Amateur Radio license for several years.  I've even had to renew it once.  Lord knows I didn't want it to expire and have to start over again.  I have tried a little bit of everything, and operated from various QTH's from cliff dwelling (apartment) to a home with a fairly large lot.  I have yet to experience a country QTH with a few acres to plant antennas on but I'm working on it!  I have been discouraged at times by the seemingly endless theories, formulas, and technical information I've had to wade through to do a little of my own experimenting.  Now I don't hold anything against those hams who are electronic geniuses and have forgotten more about electronics than I'll ever know.  In fact I salute them.  They are the trailblazers of the hobby.  But some of us less technically gifted guys would like to dip our toes in a little experimenting and tinkering on a little less complicated plane.  It seems most projects are always to technical or childishly simple.  It also seems that well meaning elmers on the internet and locally often unintentionally talk way over our heads.  After more than ten years of operating, I have found that you don't have to have an electronics/engineering degree to enjoy the hobby.  I have also learned that you don't have to have a huge budget.  We all drool over the mega expensive radios and equipment.  But if you're like me you don't have a money tree growing in the back yard.  I have to make my radio dollars go as far as I can.  I'm always searching for the best bang for the buck.  There are ways to get on the air and operate on a shoe string.  For me, a lot of the fun in this hobby is the ground work involved in getting on the air.  I'm particularly fond of experimenting with antennas.  So as I reflect on what I have learned; and as I continue my adventure in this great hobby, I will share it with you in my blog: "Ham Radio For the Rest of Us".  I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment